User Story Dependency
A dependency is a relationship between two items or tasks where the completion of one of the tasks relies on the execution/completion of the other.
In Copado, there are two types of dependencies which can be created in a Team or a User Story record:
- Dependencies in a User Story record:
- Parent User Story
- Child User Story
- Dependencies in a Team record:
- Team Dependencies (Dependent Team)
- Team Dependencies (Provider Team)
User Story Dependencies
To create a dependency in a user story, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to a User Story record and go to the related list.
- Click on New in the Parent User Stories or Child User Stories related list depending on the type of dependency you want to create.
- Add any other relevant information and click on Save.
- Optionally, you can fill in the below fields:
- In the Dependent Team field, select the team that is requiring the other team to complete and deliver the work.
- In Deliverable, provide a short description of the requirements of the work.
- In the Provider Team field , select the team that is going to deliver the work.
To create a dependency in a team, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to a Team record and go to the related list.
- Click on New in the Team Dependencies (Dependent Team) or Team Dependencies (Provider Team) related list depending on the type of dependency you want to create.
- As in the user story dependency, fill in all the relevant fields and click on Save.
Deploying with Dependencies
Whenever you create a promotion with user stories that have uncompleted dependencies, a warning icon will be shown next to the Create Deployment button.
A Missing Dependencies Warning is shown in the following instances:
- When you are trying to promote a user story which has a dependency and the Provider User Story has not been promoted.
You can define a Skip Dependency formula field in order not to display the unresolved dependencies warning.
Defining a Skip Dependency Condition
You can design a skip dependency rule. To do so, Copado provides the following custom metadata: Copado Settings > User Story Dependency where you can specify the API name of a formula field in the User Story Dependency object. By default, Copado sets the value to Skip_Dependency__c field.
How to Create Your Own Skip Dependency Condition
- Create a formula field in the User Story Dependency object with your own criteria.
- Under Settings > Custom Metadata > Copado Settings > User Story Dependency, replace the text field value with the field API name you defined.
By default, Skip_Dependency__c field has this criterion: OR( ISPICKVAL( Dependency_Status__c ,'Completed'), ISPICKVAL( Dependency_Status__c ,'Deferred'), ISPICKVAL( Dependency_Status__c ,'Never'))