How to Create a Back Promotion
There are two ways in which you can create a back promotion depending on your needs:
- From the Promotions tab.
- From the Manage Branches page.
Creating a Back Promotion from the Promotions Tab
While creating a new promotion from the Promotions tab, a Back Promotion checkbox will be shown. If checked, the Source Environment field switches to Destination Environment. Copado will infer the source environment based on the deployment flow of the selected project or release and will create a promotion into the selected destination.
Creating a Back Promotion from the Manage Branches Page
In order to back promote user stories from the Manage Branches page to lower environments, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the deployment flow and locate the Manage Branches field. Then, click on the link to open the Manage Branches page.
- In the Manage Branches page, use the back arrow for the sandbox where you want to back promote the user stories (in the example below we are back promoting a user story to the Dev2 environment).
- After clicking on the back arrow choose the User Stories Behind tab.
- Choose the Project or Release that contains the user story.
- Select the user stories you want to back promote.
- Click on Create Back Promotion or on Create Back Promotion & Deploy.
When creating a back promotion from the Promotions tab or using the Create Back Promotion button in the Manage Branches page, you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment. However, if you are back promoting from the Manage Branches page, you can leverage the Create Back Promotion & Deploy button and Copado will automatically create and deploy the back promotion records.