Metadata Source Options
You can use artifacts for a modular based approach on the development process. An Artifact contains a set of user defined metadata completely isolated from everything else. You can create scratch org from one or multiple artifacts. When working with artifacts, scratch org creation is faster, and metadata scope is easily managed. Copado works with 2 different artifact approach:
- Artifacts from version control system
- Artifacts from unmanaged packages
Load metadata from a specific git branch. Copado supports with 4 branch types as a scratch org metadata source:
- Git Branch: Any git branch without a specific purpose. Specific branch types are explained below as different types of branches.
- Feature Branches: Isolated branch for a specific user story so that changes that committed on the user story will be stored in this branch.
- Promotion Branch: Also known as Release Branch, is an Isolated branch created automatically by Copado holding the metadata of one or multiple User Stories that are selected to be promoted.
- DX Project Branch: Copado automatically creates project branches as a metadata template of a scratch org, this type of branches may containing one or multiple artifacts if the scratch org metadata source is selected as artifacts. By using project branches you can recreate any scratch orgs.
Load metadata to the scratch org from any Salesforce environment that you have in Copado.
Important note: mdAPI and Salesforce DX push command is limited to 10.000 metadata. Please review your org metadata size before you proceed.