Metadata Source Options
You can use artifacts for a modular-based approach in the development process. An artifact contains a set of user-defined metadata completely isolated from everything else. You can create a scratch org from one or multiple artifacts. When working with artifacts, scratch org creation is faster, and metadata scope is easily managed.
Copado works with 2 different artifact approaches:
- Artifacts from version control system.
- Artifacts from unmanaged packages.
Load metadata from a specific Git branch. Copado supports 4 branch types as a scratch org metadata source:
- Git Branch: Any Git branch without a specific purpose. Specific branch types are explained below as different types of branches.
- Feature Branch: Isolated branch for a specific user story so that the changes that were committed in the user story are stored in this branch.
- Promotion Branch: Also known as Release Branch, this branch is an Isolated branch created automatically by Copado that holds the metadata of one or multiple user stories that are selected to be promoted.
- DX Project Branch: Copado automatically creates project branches as a metadata template of a scratch org. This type of branches may contain one or multiple artifacts if the scratch org metadata source is selected as artifacts. By using project branches you can recreate any scratch org.
Load metadata to the scratch org from any Salesforce environment that you have in Copado.