How to Create a Promotion
Promoting a Single User Story
Copado allows you to promote user stories individually with the Promote and Deploy feature. This can be useful, for instance, if you want to apply a minor fix to a bug which does not share any dependency to another user story.
When using the Promote and Deploy feature, Copado will create a Promotion and a Deployment of the selected user story and will automatically execute the deployment.
To promote a single user story:
- Navigate to the user story you want to promote.
- Check the Promote and Deploy checkbox.
Promoting Multiple User Stories
Copado allows you to promote user stories in bulk integrating them in a single promotion. In order to do this, the user stories you want to promote must be flagged as Promote Change.
Once the user stories are flagged as Promote Change, they will be ready to be promoted and will be available for selection.
You can promote multiple user stories in 2 ways:
- From the Promotion Record
- From the Pipeline Manager page (Summer ‘19) or Release Management page (v12).
From the Promotion Record
- Before creating the Promotion record, make sure that the user stories have been marked as Promote Change.
- Navigate to the Promotions tab and click on New.
- Select the Project or the Release. It is possible to create a promotion for user stories that belong to a project or to a release regardless of the project.
- Add the Source Environment. Copado will automatically fill in the source org credential, the destination environment and the destination org credential based on the pipeline related to the project/project's release and the available credential owned by the running user.
- Locate the required user stories from the Available User Stories list, mark them and click on Add selected User Stories. The selected user stories will be displayed now under the Selected User Stories related list.
- When using Promote Change, Copado will not create the deployment automatically, this will have to be manually performed from the Promotion record. To learn more, please visit the article Creating a Deployment.
From the Pipeline Manager Page
This Interface is available if you are in Copado version Summer '19.
- First, ensure the user stories have been marked as Promote Change.
- Navigate to the Pipeline and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the Pipeline Manager link to open the Pipeline Manager page.
- Click on the arrow beside the user stories ahead count.
- This will open a new page where all the user stories ready to be promoted sit in this environment will be listed, regardless of their project.
- Flag the user stories you are interested in promoting and choose the test level you want to apply in the deployment.
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create and deploy the back promotion records).
From the Release Management Page
This Interface is available if you are in Copado v12.
- Navigate to the deployment flow and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the link to open the Release Management page.
- In the Release Management page, use the arrow for the environment where you want to promote the user stories.
- After clicking on the back arrow choose the User Stories Ahead tab.
- Choose the Project or Release that contains the user story.
- Select the user stories you want to back promote.
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create and deploy the promotion records).