How to Create a Promotion
Promoting a Single User Story
Copado allows you to promote user stories individually with the Promote and Deploy feature. This can be useful, for instance, if you want to apply a minor fix to a bug which does not share any dependency to another user story.
When using the Promote and Deploy feature, Copado will create a Promotion and a Deployment of the selected user story and will automatically execute the deployment.
To promote a single user story:
- Navigate to the user story you want to promote.
- Check the Promote and Deploy checkbox:
Promoting Multiple User Stories
Copado allows you to promote user stories in bulk integrating them in a single promotion. In order to do this, the user stories you want to promote must be flagged as Ready to Promote:
Once the user stories have been flagged as Ready to Promote, they will be ready to be promoted and will be available for selection.
You can promote multiple user stories in 2 ways:
- From the Promotion Record
- From the Pipeline page or Release Management page (v12 or under).
From the Promotion Record
- Before creating the Promotion record, make sure that the user stories have been marked as Ready to Promote.
- Navigate to the Promotions tab and click on New.
- Select the Project or the Release. It is possible to create a promotion for user stories that belong to a project or to a release regardless of the project.
- Add the Source Environment. Copado will automatically fill in the source org credential, the destination environment and the destination org credential based on the pipeline related to the project or the release of the project and the available credential owned by the running user.
- Locate the required user stories from the Available User Stories list, check them and click on Add selected User Stories. The selected user stories will be then displayed under the Selected User Stories related list.
- When using Ready to Promote, Copado will not create the deployment automatically, this will have to be manually performed from the Promotion record. To learn more, please visit the article Creating a Deployment.
From the Pipeline Page
This Interface is available if you are in Summer '19.
- First, ensure the user stories have been marked as Ready to Promote.
- Navigate to the Pipeline and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the Pipeline Manager link to open the Pipeline page:
- Click on the arrow beside the user stories count:
- This will open a new page where you can see all the user stories in this environment that are ready to be promoted, regardless of their project:
- Flag the user stories you are interested in promoting and choose the test level you want to apply to the deployment:
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create a Promotion record and deploy the user stories).
From the Release Management Page
This Interface is available if you are in Copado v12.
- Navigate to the deployment flow and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the link to open the Release Management page:
- In the Release Management page, use the arrow for the environment where you want to promote the user stories:
- Choose the User Stories Ahead tab.
- Choose the Project or Release that contains the user story.
- Select the user stories you want to promote.
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create a Promotion record and deploy the user stories):