As of Copado v10, a new tab is available within Copado Change Management application which will let your teams work more agile through a powerful items management tool. If you are not still agile in your company, in Be Agile with Copado section you will find more information about these methodologies, backlog, backburner, sprints and how to implement them within your development processes.
Work manager is basically an area where you will be able to create as many panels as you wish, save them and have all the information related to your teams work at hand.
Each panel has a search box to easily filter the user stories listed inside that panel.
By default, “Backlog”, “Backlog Burner”, “Current Sprint” and “Next Sprint” panels are displayed. Thanks to the “Status” field and the “Sprint” field, you will be able to determine in which panel your user stories will be displayed. If you do not see these panels by default the reason is that current and next sprints do not exist.
Each of these panels will display the following information:
- “Backlog” panel will show all the user stories pending to be included in a Sprint for its implementation, so these user stories are those not assigned to any Sprint nor the Backburner. It means that the Sprint field is empty and the status is NOT Backburner, Cancelled or Rejected.
- “Backburner” panel will show all the user stories Ready for kick-off (these user stories are completely defined and ready to be included in next or current sprint). This panel contains all user stories not included within a Sprint and which their status is “Backburner”.
- “Current Sprint” panel: Copado will detect if you are part of a team and if that team has at least one sprint in progress. In case it is found, current sprint will be displayed in this panel. If you are part of more than one sprint, you can add new panels easily (see next sections). If you are not part of any team, one of the current sprints will be displayed.
- “Next Sprint” panel: The same criteria will be applied for current sprint and for next sprint, only dates will be different.
Adding new fields to panels is possible thanks to a fields menu available in each Work Manager panels. Just selecting them in the drop-down menu, they will be displayed on that panel.
As of v11, there is a search box available within each panel to make easy searching elements inside the panels:
When moving user stories from one panel to another, they will not remain in the position where the user drops it because each panel is ordered by user story reference, so it will be also ordered following that criteria.
For Backlog and Backburner panels, this order works differently because these panels has a rank field in order to be able to prioritize items moving them to the top of these lists or to any particular position. In agile methodologies, position in these panels equals to priority, so Copado will allow users to prioritize user stories just moving them to an upper position.
CREATE NEW PANELS
At the top-right side of your Work Manager, you will find the following fields:
It will allow you to add new panels to your Work Manager filtering your user stories by the following fields:
This list is customizable by using the Field Set in User Story: Work Manager Relations.
To add BACKLOG or BACKBURNER panels, select Status=Backlog/Backburner value and then, Add Panel.
SAVE YOUR PANELS CONFIGURATION
At the top-left side of your Work manager, a "New" button will allow you to create a new panels configuration so that you will be able to have several dashboards with different panels.
This powerful feature will let you add as many panels as you wish depending on projects, sprints, statuses or any other combination of user stories that you may find useful. Having several panels will help you have your information more organized and visible.
You will also be able to remove those configurations you are not interested in any more.
DRAG AND DROP USER STORIES BETWEEN PANELS
Work manager allows users to drag and drop user stories from one panel to another easily, just clicking on the
button and drag&dropping freely. A background task will update the corresponding fields when you move user stories from one panel to another.
If you drag one user story or a multi-selection from a panel to another panel which filters by one field, that/those user story/ies will be changed in order to meet the criteria. Example: you have a “Current Sprint” panel and you move some user stories from "Backburner" to "Current Sprint" those user stories will be modified and their Sprint field will be set to "Current Sprint" value.
It is important to notice what happens when you move user stories from/to backlog panels to/from sprints panels.
- When you move an user story to Backlog panel, the Sprint will be set to null and the Status to "backlog" value.
- When you move an user story Backburner panel, the Sprint will be set to null and the status to "backburner" value.
- When you move an user story from any panel to a Sprint panel, the Sprint field will be updated. The status will remain unchanged.
Also keep in mind that you can also move user stories from one position to another position within the same panel. This rank will be stored for backlog and backburner panels.