The work manager tool allows your teams to work in a more agile way. If you are not still agile in your company, in the Agile Tools section of our documentation you will find more information about these methodologies, backlog, backburner, sprints and how to implement them within your development processes.
Work manager is basically an area where you can create as many panels as you wish, save them and have all the information related to your teams' work at hand.
Each panel has a search box to easily filter the user stories listed inside that panel.
By default, the Backlog, Backlog Burner, Current Sprint and Next Sprint panels are displayed. The Status and Sprint fields, help you determine on which panel your user stories are displayed. If you do not see these panels by default, the reason is most likely that the current and next sprints do not exist yet.
Each of these panels displays the following information:
- The Backlog panel shows you all the user stories pending to be included in a sprint for their implementation. These user stories are those that have not been assigned to a sprint and whose status is not Backburner. This means that the Sprint field is empty and the status is not Backburner, Cancelled or Rejected.
- The Backburner panel shows you all the user stories that are ready for kick-off (these user stories are completely defined and ready to be included in the next or current sprint). This panel contains all the user stories that have not been included in a sprint and whose status is Backburner.
- Current Sprint panel: Copado detects if you are part of a team and if that team has at least one sprint in progress. If a sprint is found, it will be displayed on this panel. If you are part of more than one team, you can add new panels easily (see the section below). If you are not part of any team, one of the current sprints will be displayed.
- Next Sprint panel: The same criteria is applied for the current and next sprints, only the dates are different.
You can add fields to panels through the drop-down menu available in each work manager panel. Just select the fields you want to see and they will be displayed on that panel.
There is a search box available in each panel to make searching elements inside the panels easier:
When you move user stories from one panel to another, they don’t remain in the position where you dropped them, as each panel is ordered by user story reference. They will be ordered following this criterion.
In the case of Backlog and Backburner panels, this order works differently because these panels have a rank field in order to let you prioritize items by moving them to the top of these lists or to any particular position. In Agile methodologies, position in these panels equals priority, therefore Copado allows you to prioritize user stories by moving them to an upper position.
Creating New Panels
In the top right corner of your Work Manager, you can find the following fields:
This option allows you to add new panels to your work manager filtering your user stories by the following fields:
This list can be customized by using the Work Manager Relations field set in the user story.
To add Backlog or Backburner panels, select Status=Backlog/Backburner value and then click on Add Panel.
Saving Your Panels' Configuration
In the top left corner of your Work Manager, the New button allows you to create new panels' configuration, therefore you can have several dashboards with different panels.
This powerful feature lets you add as many panels as you wish, depending on the projects, sprints, statuses or any other combination of user stories that you may find useful. Having several panels will help you have your information more organized and visible. You can also remove configurations if you don’t need them anymore.
Drag and Drop User Stories Between Panels
The work manager allows you to easily drag and drop user stories from one panel to another, just by clicking on the user story and dragging & dropping freely. A background task will update the corresponding fields when you move user stories from one panel to another.
If you drag one user story from a panel to another panel which is filtered by a specific field, this user story will be changed in order to meet the criteria. For instance, if you have a Current Sprint panel and you move some user stories there from the Backburner panel, the Sprint field in these user stories will be updated to Current Sprint.
It is important to notice what happens when you move user stories from/to backlog panels to/from sprints panels.
- When you move a user story to a Backlog panel, the sprint will be set to null and the status to Backlog value.
- When you move a user story to a Backburner panel, the sprint will be set to null and the status to Backburner value.
- When you move a user story from any panel to a Sprint panel, the Sprint field will be updated. The status will remain unchanged.
Also bear in mind that you can move user stories from one position to another within the same panel. This rank will be stored for Backlog and Backburner panels.