How to Create a Back Promotion
There are two ways in which you can create a back promotion depending on your needs:
- From the Promotions tab.
- From the Pipeline Manager page (Summer ‘19) or from the Release Management page (v12).
From the Promotions Tab
While creating a new promotion from the Promotions tab, a Back Promotion checkbox will be shown. If checked, the Source Environment field switches to Destination Environment. Copado will infer the source environment based on the pipeline of the selected project or release and will create a promotion into the selected destination.
When creating a back promotion from the Promotions tab, you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment.
From the Pipeline Manager Page
If you are in Summer '19, in order to back promote user stories from the Pipeline Manager page to lower environments, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Pipeline record and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the Pipeline Manager link to open the Pipeline Manager page.
- Click on the arrow beside the user stories ahead count.
- This will open a new page where all the user stories ready to be back promoted that are sitting in the environment will be listed, regardless of their project.
- Flag the user stories you are interested in back promoting and choose the test level you want to apply in the deployment.
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create and deploy the back promotion records).
From the Release Management Page
If you're in Copado v12, follow the steps below in order to back promote user stories from the Release Management page to lower environments:
- Navigate to the deployment flow and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the link to open the Release Management page.
- In the Release Management page, use the back arrow for the sandbox where you want to back promote the user stories (in the example below we are back promoting a user story to the Dev2 environment).
- After clicking on the back arrow choose the User Stories Behind tab.
- Choose the Project or Release that contains the user story.
- Select the user stories you want to back promote.
- Click on Create Back Promotion (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Create Back Promotion & Deploy (Copado will automatically create and deploy the back promotion records).