How to Create a Back Promotion
There are two ways in which you can create a back promotion depending on your needs:
- From the Promotions tab.
- From the Pipeline page or from the Release Management page (v12 or under).
From the Promotions Tab
While creating a new promotion from the Promotions tab, a Back Promotion checkbox will be shown. If checked, the Source Environment field switches to Destination Environment. Copado will infer the source environment based on the pipeline of the selected project or release and will create a promotion into the selected destination:
If you are creating a back promotion from the Promotions tab, you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment.
From the Pipeline Page
In order to back promote user stories from the Pipeline page to lower environments, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Pipeline record and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the Pipeline Manager link to open the Pipeline page:
- Click on the back arrow beside the user stories count:
- This will open a new page where you can see all the user stories in the environment that are ready to be back promoted regardless of their project:
- Flag the user stories you are interested in back promoting and choose the test level you want to apply to the deployment:
- Click on Back Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Back Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create the Promotion record and back promote the user stories).
From the Release Management Page
If you are in Copado v12, follow the steps below in order to back promote user stories from the Release Management page to lower environments:
- Navigate to the deployment flow and locate the Manage Releases field. Then, click on the link to open the Release Management page.
- In the Release Management page, use the back arrow for the sandbox where you want to back promote the user stories (in the example below we are back promoting a user story to the Dev2 environment).
- After clicking on the back arrow choose the User Stories Behind tab.
- Choose the Project or Release that contains the user story.
- Select the user stories you want to back promote.
- Click on Create Back Promotion (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Create Back Promotion & Deploy (Copado will automatically create and deploy the back promotion records).