Characteristics of a Good User Story
A good user story is INVEST:
- Independent: User stories should be self-contained, independent of other user stories.
- Negotiable: User stories should be available for changes and rewritten until they start to be implemented in a timebox.
- Valuable: Each user story should deliver a business value to the user.
- Estimable: Each user story should be capable of being estimated to determine its size /effort.
- Small: User stories should be small enough to fit in a timebox.
- Testable: User stories need to provide information that is necessary for testing i.e. to make the development of tests possible.
User stories are created following the pattern described below:
As a <user role>, I want to <goal> so that <reason>.
With this user story description, the user describes the role or type of user, what they want to achieve and why.